4/3/07

Not-So-Strange Bedfellows: TNR & the DLC

This is pretty interesting. The Democratic Leadership Council is offering a free year of The New Republic Online for anyone willing to fill it out a form.

At a glance this seems unsuprising. TNR has been a champion of DLC-style centrism for quite some time now -- even before the Clinton years. What is odd is that when TNR announced it was making big changes in ownership and format, editor Franklin Foer gave the impression that the magazine was headed leftward.

It seems the DLC is not so convinced.

I do have to say, I am conflicted on this. As I have made clear before, I am no fan of the DLC. On the other hand, I do a lot of researching, factchecking and reading for my work, and it is not uncommon for the TNR paywall to get in my way. So do I take the bait and the free subscription?

The DLC robbed my country of an opposition party, after all, so it hardly seems unreasonable for me take a damn magazine subscription.